Saturday, November 26, 2011

Homemade Pandan Kaya (Coconut jam)



I woke up this morning craving for kaya toast. The canned versions from Malaysia stocked up in my pantry just won't do; I wanted something old fashioned and authentic just like the ones served in kopitiams back home. Unfortunately in this country, you can't buy ready made yummy kaya off the shelves in bakeries and thus, still dressed in my pj's, I made my way to the kitchen and whipped up some delicious, fragrant home made kaya. mMMmmm :)

I used a simple recipe given to me years and years ago from my aunt who is an expert in traditional cooking.

What you will need:



5 fresh eggs, 200gm white sugar, 50gm pandan flavoured coconut powder, 200ml hot water and half a teaspoon of pandan essence.

I cheated by using pandan flavoured coconut powder and pandan essence because I didn't have fresh pandan leaves on hand and refused to travel all the way to the Chinese supermarket to get some in this blistering cold weather. Feel free to use pandan leaves if you have them!

Method:

Start first by whisking the sugar and eggs together in a stainless steel bowl.


In a separate bowl, combine the powdered coconut with hot water and stir until dissolved. Add the pandan essence.


Pour the coconut mixture into the egg and sugar mixture and place the stainless steel bowl over a pot of hot water for the double boiling effect.


Keep on stirring for the next 40-50 minutes until you get a thick consistency. An old trick is to stir the mixture in the same direction at all times.


Unfortunately for some people, even after stirring consistently throughout the entire time, the kaya mixture will still be lumpy! I've tried over and over again with different recipes but the lumpiness is always there - what you can do is to blend the mixture with a soup blender like what I did and tada!



A jar of smooth yumminess. Cravings satisfied :)

Enjoy folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Home